- Trade Now
- About Us
Chapter 1.12: How to open a Trading Account
Since 2000, the stock markets have become electronic. This means, trading is conducted online. Today, you need a demat and a trading account to invest in the stock market. A trading account is opened with a stock broker.
Most often, stock broking firms have thousands of clients. It is not feasible to take physical orders from every client on time. So, to make this process seamless, you open a trading account. Using this account, you can place buy or sell orders either online or phone, which will automatically be directed to the exchange through the stock broker.
Here's how you open a trading account
- First, select the stock broker or firm. Ensure that the broker is good and will take your orders in a timely manner. Remember, time is of utmost importance in the stock market. Even a few minutes can change the market price of the stock. For this reason, ensure that you select a good broker.
- Compare brokerage rates. Every broker charges you a certain fee for processing your orders. Some may charge more, some less.
- Some give discounts on the basis of the amount of trades conducted. Take all this into account before opening an account. However, remember that it is not necessary to choose a broker who charges the lowest fees. Good quality brokerage services provided often may need higher-than-average charges.
- Next, get in touch with the brokerage firm or broker and enquire about the account opening procedure. Often, the firm would send a representative to your house with the account opening form and the Know Your Client (KYC) form
- Fill these two forms up. Submit along with two documents that serve as proof of your identity and address.
- Your application will be verified either through an in-person check or on the phone, where you will be asked to divulge your personal details.
- Once processed, you will be given your trading accounts details. Congrats, you will now be able to conduct trades in the stock market
WHAT ARE THE DOCUMENTS REQUIRED?
Just like the procedure for opening a demat account, you need to submit proofs of identity and address along with a passport size photograph and the account opening form for opening a trading account.
Here is a broad list of documents that can be used as proofs:
Proof of identity
PAN card, voter's ID, passport, driver's license, bank attestation, IT returns, electricity bill, telephone bill, ID cards with applicant's photo issued by the central or state government and its departments, statutory or regulatory authorities, public sector undertakings (PSUs), scheduled commercial banks, public financial institutions, colleges affiliated to universities, or professional bodies such as ICAI, ICWAI, ICSI, bar council etc.
Proof of address
Ration card, passport, voter ID card, driving license, bank passbook or bank statement, verified copies of electricity bills, residence telephone bills, leave and license agreement or agreement for sale, self-declaration by High Court or Supreme Court judges, identity card or a document with address issued by the central or state government and its departments, statutory or regulatory authorities, public sector undertakings (PSUs), scheduled commercial banks, public financial institutions, colleges affiliated to universities and professional bodies such as ICAI, ICWAI, Bar Council etc.
You now know about how stock markets, how to invest, demat and trading accounts, how to open these and how to conduct trades. You are also empowered with knowledge about stock market analysis. In your quest to understand the equity markets, you have almost the end. Just one last step is remaining. Read our Stock Market FAQs section here to answer any lingering queries.
If you want to open a trading account with Kotak Securities, click here.