11.4%: The National Stock Exchange (NSE) benchmark Nifty’s gains in just nine sessions up to June 1.
- The Nifty gained 1,003 points — from 8,823 at close of trading on May 18 to 9,826 on June 1.
- Interestingly, all the 50 Nifty components delivered positive gains during this period.
- The biggest contributor to the gains were HDFC Bank and HDFC, which accounted for a fourth the 1,000-point Nifty rally.
- ITC, ICICI Bank and Reliance Industries are the next biggest contributors.
- The biggest gain, however, was posted by Eicher Motors (up 31%), and Zee Entertainment (up 24%).
A few links for further reading
Insecure and uncertain in insurance business as Covid-18 damage claims mount
Insurance companies around the world were sailing smoothly, helped by growth in emerging markets and strong capitalisation. Things changed in late February when markets realised that Covid-19’s impact on insurers could be significant. Insurers are yet to know the full impact of the crisis as governments and regulators nudge them to give moratoriums to policyholders and quickly settle claims too. India’s insurance regulator has set strict deadlines for medical insurers to settle Covid-19 claims. General insurers face damage claims from businesses devastated by the national lockdown to contain the disease. Is insurance secured to survive, Joydeep Ghosh explains
There was a time when pay cuts we see today were a complete no-no; govt and public sector jobs were considered safe, as pay and pensions were both assured. Not any longer, it seems, writes T N Ninan
Quick approval, grace period
The COVID-19 pandemic has brought home the significance of health and life insurance like nothing else earlier. Even those who were blasé about these covers in the past are now looking to buy a new policy or want to enhance the sum insured on their existing ones. Meanwhile, the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) has been issuing a slew of guidelines to health/general and life insurance companies aimed at easing matters for customers.